Head of Design
Formsort is a software platform that allows creating, understanding, and improving the form flows that are critical in today's direct-to-consumer world. Whether applying for a mortgage, registering for a vaccine, or making expensive purchases, many of today's largest life decisions are mediated by sets of forms embedded within websites or apps. At the same time, many of these experiences are broken and hard to improve: built a few years ago with the technology of the time, filled with bugs and user experience nightmares, and impossible to fix and improve on.
We unleash the power of rapid feedback and iteration to forms: Formsort's powerful admin tool allows non-technical users to create and launch customized forms that are then embedded in the core workflows of a business. Once set up, it makes it easy to change these forms: whether the branding, the logic, or the ordering of the content.
We have been around for two years, working closely with a few early-adopter clients. Having lived through real-world user experience problems in healthcare, finance, e-commerce, we've built a powerful set of features that encompass the whole lifecycle of designing, launching, and iterating on form flows. Most of our customers have seen significant improvements in conversion in their main user experience.
Today, we are hiring to bring that experience to more clients, in more fields. We're packaging up what we've learned and bringing it to the masses: no one should have to struggle with forms ever again.
Benefits include unlimited PTO and paid healthcare.
We are looking for a systems-thinking design leader to take Formsort to the next level of usability and functionality: a designer of design tools, who's excited about extending the power of creators into the realm of forms. The ideal candidate is not just taking tickets and pushing around pixels, but is enmeshed in the big picture and pushes on problems that we’re not even aware of today.
As the head of design at Formsort, you'll have oversight and responsibility for both the admin tool (the studio) as well as the forms (the flows) that the tool creates. There is a huge variety in form design patterns, aesthetics, and paradigms that we seek to capture within Formsort: and we're only getting started on it.
Some of the design challenges we face on a daily basis:
- Form flows are complex. As a design tool, Formsort faces many of the same challenges that a tool like Photoshop faces: it's powerful because of the depth and variety of actions a user may take, but can be difficult to use for the same reason. We need to strike a balance between functionality and ease of use.
- Things are always changing. Users are accessing forms on every single device type. Clients launch new versions of forms daily. Web and app technology is itself changing what's possible. We need to bring calm and clarity to this ever-shifting reality.
- Clients don't always know what they want: often a bespoke form design pattern performs worse than a more standard approach. We need to guide users to pick the patterns that work well in the real world, while allowing them to express their own personality and processes.
- Forms are multi-disciplinary endeavors: we have many different user types. Engineers embed the form flow within a larger system. Designers create styles and themes. Data analysts and marketers tracking performance. Compliance folks make sure rules aren't broken. And business folks just want everything to run smoothly. We need to design for all of these often disparate needs.
Formsort of the future will not only let our users build forms, but will elevate their forms in ways they didn’t know to ask or to look for. To get there, we need you!
- Has a strong design philosophy and book of work, and loves the idea of bringing it to a young and growing company.
- You have 5+ years of experience in design roles at technology companies, ideally having worked on design or internal tools.
- Using Sketch or Figma is second nature to you. Experience with prototyping, motion graphics, or animation tools is a plus.
- You work at many levels of fidelity: you produce pixel-perfect designs when aesthetics are important, but can quickly put together flows or sketches of exploratory concepts, or run a user study as well.
- Designing for technical users is exciting! You love to understand puzzling processes and concepts, and can dive into understanding the factors at play and distill the concepts into clear and usable UX.
- Self-starter attitude: you take joy in identifying and executing high-impact improvements independently, in addition to working on longer-term strategic projects.
- You can manage projects: beginning with one's own projects, but also with management of contractors and junior teammates, prioritizing with an eye towards business goals.
- Remote work makes you happy: you're good at collaborating with a team that's geographically distributed, and enjoy having a balanced lifestyle.
- We interview you, talking through your portfolio of work, focusing on the motivations behind your choices and the tradeoffs that you made along the way.
- We hire you.
- Interview and study our clients directly to understand their goals for their product forms, and their experiences with Formsort thus far.
- Audit the current state of the app to identify areas to improve and ideas for the future, while developing an understanding of how different features and functions interact.
- Start building out a formal set of design guidelines in layers, starting with implementing a symbol library of the existing components, defining a design system, and documenting guidelines on how to extend them in the future.
- Work directly with frontend developers to provide feedback and guidance on user interactions, big and small.
- Create holistic, systematic mockups and workflows for the next sets of user-impacting features.
- Collaborate with product and engineering to prototype and deliver new features.
- Create reusable themes and design patterns for Formsort's clients to customize and use in their own form flows.
- Explore tailored experiences in the Formsort studio: whether simplified "zen-mode" flows for new users, or "just what you need" experiences for specific roles.
- Systematize a workflow of designing, reviewing and testing your designs that works for you and the team.
- Recruit and hire a design team, helping pick the next members of the team depending on the skills that we're needing the most that you'll guide and mentor.
- Automate the form design process itself: work with data scientists to distill the billions of form submissions into insights about user behavior that can be looped back into the form design tool.
- Help launch a site (or organize a conference) that collects the best (and worst) examples of form design patterns to elevate the industry as a whole, outside of Formsort.
How to apply
Please send us your recent work, GitHub projects that you’re proud of, or open source contributions.Apply here